Sunnyside and Broadway, 1950s

UHSSunnysideBroadway
courtesy UHS archive

Here we have an undated view, likely during the 1950s, looking west along Sunnyside toward Broadway. The Wilson Yard Shops and “Little McJunkin” building (with the Byrnes Movers sign) are visible in the background. The building on the left is extant.

Broadway North of Lawrence

Wolverine CAMERA
The Sheridan Trust & Savings Bank, later known as Uptown National Bank and currently the Bridgeview Bank Building at Lawrence & Broadway (UHS archive)

Here is an undated, although late 1980’s seems likely, view of the Uptown Bank Building at Lawrence and Broadway. Note the Uptown Theater in the background as well as the parking structure visible on the right side of the photograph that once stood on the north side of Lawrence near the tracks. The parking structure is now a parking lot.

Digitized UHS Archive Coming Online

Wolverine CAMERA
The house of worship that preceded the current Buddhist Temple of Chicago at 1151 W. Leland. The temple that now stands on the site was dedicated in 2006. (UHS archive)

The Uptown Historical Society has been working to digitize a large amount of slides that have not been seen in many years. We will share some of our archive here on our website.